Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to reside in Langley in order for my child to attend FVES?

– No, as an independent school we are not required to abide by school district zoning catchment regulations. In fact, many of our students come from areas in Abbotsford to as far as South Surrey.

I missed the applications deadline, may I still apply for this year?

– Absolutely, we are always accepting applications for all grade levels. We do encourage our applicants to get your forms in before the deadline so each child has an equal opportunity for placement.

What are the class size limits?

– Most grades have a class limit of 16

What grade levels do you currently offer?

– In 2017 -18 we are offering kindergarten to grade 7.

When should I apply?

– While we accept applications year-round we recommend applying one year prior to classes beginning. Our deadline for applications is early February, with assessments to take place in mid-February. Kindergarten offers of admissions are sent in March, all other grades are sent in May. Any applications we receive after the February deadline are placed on our wait-list.

Example: My daughter was born in November 2012, she won’t turn 5 until November 2017 – she will be starting kindergarten in September 2012. We should apply anytime from October 2016 to February 2017.

I’m on the wait-list, what happens next?

– Candidates on our wait-list are waiting for a space to become available. Once an enrolled student withdraws, we pull candidates from our wait-list. An offer letter is sent via email from our Head of School.

Being on our wait-list does not guarantee enrollment at our facility. Currently enrolled families may withdraw for a variety of different reasons, and we are unable to predict when a space will become available. Should you be placed on our wait-list, we recommend making other arrangements for alternative schools. Kindergarten spaces are highly selective and we recommend applying before February. We are unable to confirm how many spaces are currently on our wait-lists. 

What are your ‘feeder’ schools, and which school can my child attend after grade 7?

– This is entirely up to you, and based on where you currently reside. If you’re going to be attending a public school, you will need to check your local catchment zones provided by the school district. Independent schools are not governed by zoning regulations.

The nearest public schools are:

  • R.C Garnett – k to 5

  • Richard Billpitt Elementary – k to grade 5

  • Yorkson Creek Middle School – grades 6 to 8

  • R.E Mountain – grade 9 to 12 (international baccalaureate)

What is Fraser Valley Elementary School not listed in the Fraser Institute’s Report Card Ranking of Elementary Schools in BC?

While there are many ways to evaluate a school, The Fraser Institute uses data from FSA (Foundation Skills Assessment) to prepare their Report Card on Elementary schools. Each year, this FSA data is inputted into an algorithm and a rating out of 10 is produced. For this algorithm, there must be a way to cross reference data to a grade 7 cohort, as well as there needs to be a minimum of 10 writers.

Our first cohort to write the FSA testing completed this is 2014-15 and there were 15 writers that year. When this cohort completes grade 7, which will be in 2017-18, then that data can be inputted into the algorithm, and a rating can be produced.  However, for the cohorts following 2014-15, we had only 6 writers in 2015—16 and 4 writers for 2016-17.  Therefore we don’t have the sample size to be reported or ranked in the Fraser Institute for the years after 2017-18.

However, please refer to our FSA results which are very impressive!

I’m an international applicant, does my child need their own student visa to attend your school?

– Students may study in Canada under their parents visa, if the applicant is not travelling with their parent they must obtain their own student visa. It is highly recommended that our international students live with their parents while in Canada. Fraser Valley Elementary is unable to provide accommodations for our international students. Students must also maintain proof of medical insurance while studying at Fraser Valley Elementary School.

What age does my child need to be to enter kindergarten at Fraser Valley Elementary School?

– The year that your child turns 5 years old is when they are required to start kindergarten. For example, if they will not be 5 years old until December 2017, they will need to begin kindergarten in September 2017. Students that were born in 2012 will begin kindergarten this upcoming September 2017. Fraser Valley Elementary is unable to provide space for students interested in beginning kindergarten earlier than 5 years old.

Is Fraser Valley Elementary School a Montessori school?

– We share a facility with a Montessori programme for ages 2.5 to 5, but Fraser Valley Elementary is not a Montessori school – we are an International Baccalaureate School. For more information, please see our academics page or

Do you provide before and after-school-care?

– Fraser Valley Elementary School shares facilities with Willowbrook Montessori Daycare. WMD provides services such as preschool, daycare, after-school-care and summer/winter camps. They operate after-school-care from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm. To inquire about available space, please contact Ms. Ally at (604) 533.5469 or

Does FVES provide lunch and snacks for the students?

– Parents are responsible for providing healthy and adequate food for their children. We do provide an optional ‘Hot Lunch’ three times a week, signup is available every other month. Items include, sandwiches, pancakes and pizza.

What is FVES’s bell schedule?

– We are open during weekdays, excluding holidays. Classes begin at 8:30 am and end at 3:20 pm. Parents are expected to pick up their children without delay. If you require after-school-care, please contact Willowbrook Montessori Daycare to register for extended care.

Does FVES have extra-curricular activities?

– Yes, we organize various fun & educational clubs throughout the year such as: chess, dance, lego, basketball and many others.

Does FVES have a parent advisory council?

– No, we don’t operate a PAC. However, FVES operates a fundraising programme and relies on parent volunteers to assist with events such as the book fair, Christmas concert and spring fete celebrations.

How do I apply?

– Please see our admissions page for more information about how to submit your application. You may also deliver your completed application package to our office in Langley or by mail. You may submit your applications and supporting documents via email, we accept cheque, cash or e-transfer to

I’m interested in applying for my child, but I’m currently overseas and we cannot attend the interview and student evaluation. Can I still apply?

– We are required to meet all applicants before making an offer of enrollment. We can make other arrangements to review your application if needed. A valid visa is required before an offer can be made, all students may study under their parents visa.

My child has a limited knowledge of the English Language, may we still apply?

– Everyone is welcome to apply, however an intermediate understanding of the English language is recommended.

My child has some physical limitations, is there a special education assistant available?

– Every child matters and we make arrangement to include everyone in every way we can. We frequently partner with speech, physical development, social councilors and occupational therapists to enhance each students unique learning development. Our facility includes an elevator to each level, and is wheelchair accessible. If you require additional support please speak to our Head of School and we would be welcome to make any arrangements that you need.

What costs are not included in the tuition?

– Tuition covers everything from field trips and school supplies to additional learning materials. Parents are required to purchase uniforms, lunches, sneakers, rain gear, a water bottle and emergency comfort packs.

How many uniforms do you suggest parents purchase?

– We recommend purchasing at least two sets of the full uniform, with one to remain for formal occasions and the other for daily wear. Two to three ties and two to four sets of physical education gym strips. You may purchase additional uniforms at any time throughout the year. Our uniforms are supplied through Cambridge Uniforms, located in North Vancouver.